Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Strawberry Fields Forever

Last night, while the Beatles crooned from the Bose and we sampled native strawberries from yesterday's trip to the farmer's market, we made up our minds to go strawberry picking. After calling several "strawberry hot lines" both north and south of home base, we learned that prime picking season is just around the corner - and that we live in an area with dozens of pick-your-own farms.


Succulent Strawberries


I love berries. Blackberries and I have a slightly dysfunctional on-off-again thing going...Raspberries and I engage in a heady summer fling every year...Blueberries and I have been best friends for years (and can't risk taking that next step)...But Strawberries and I? We're the real deal. This love affair doesn't fizzle even in the heart of winter, when a quart from who-knows-where goes up to $5.99. I can get around the having seeds and molding fast thing, and in turn I'm forgiven for my occasional lust for variety.

Imagine all of the wonderful recipes that call for strawberries.* Strawberry shortcake. Strawberry smoothies. Strawberry ice cream. Strawberry granola. Strawberry lemonade. Strawberry sorbet. Strawberry pie. Strawberry crumb bars. Strawberry salad. Strawberry muffins.

Strawberries and chocolate. A match made in heaven, some would say. I'm a little jealous of this "perfect pair" - but I can share.


Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberries

That's not to say I'm not above sending the green monster of envy right back...with a slice of Annie's strawberry cheesecake - which perks up a plain old strawberry cheesecake with an almond crust, a layer of dark chocolate ganache, and a pile of mixed berries on top. I think I'd briefly drop all of my dessert hang-ups if this cake could just magically appear on our cake stand tomorrow.

Have I mentioned we haven't actually gone strawberry picking yet? Clearly I've gotten a little carried away. Look for a picture-heavy post of our adventures in the field (and our red-stained fingers) soon!

*Special thanks to my new friend N for the 100 ways to use strawberries link!

1 comment:

  1. You should have tasted the strawberries Bon and I had on the Asian side of Istanbul. AMAZING. Yet another reason to travel...

    ReplyDelete