Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hooked on Haddock

I used to be a notoriously picky eater. I've come a long way since my bowls of Oatmeal Squares for breakfast (now I add a chopped up fresh fruit on top of my cereal and sometimes I even forgo my favorite squares for omelets), my plain turkey and lettuce sandwiches for lunch (now I alternate between turkey & chicken and sometimes I even add salsa, cheese, guacamole, and/or cucumbers!), and my 7-day rotation of various chicken entrees for dinner.

I'm hardly an adventurous eater now by most standards, but I have been making a conscious effort to try new foods (after I officially overdosed on chicken stir-fry at school). My latest, and greatest, gastronomic experiences have revolved around fish.

After trying an everything spiced baked haddock entree at Legal Seafoods, I was sold. There were no lingering fishy flavors, no questionable textures, and no remnants of bones, scales, and eyes as I had feared. It literally tasted like an everything bagel - only without the accompanying guilt of having just consumed a brick in carbohydrates.

We recently grilled fresh haddock from Whole Foods Market in a "blackened seasoning" for fish or chicken that we threw together ourselves, with a little bit of help. It was just as good if not better than the everything bagel-esque culinary adventure at the restaurant. This seasoning also tastes great on tilapia, cod, and mahi mahi (which seem to all sort of taste the same!).


Ready for the Grill: Haddock with Blackened Seasoning and Garden Parsley

While we waited for the fish to cook, we sampled irresistibly tiny American Vintage wine biscuits. We tried the red wine and black pepper version, which immediately shot to the top of my favorite cracker list.

Nutrition Info for American Vintage Wine Biscuits

The Perfect Tide-Me-Over Handmade Crackers

No comments:

Post a Comment