What about recess, you may ask? I think recess was more of an elementary school phenomenon. Besides, on my trip down memory lane I seem to remember that all we ever did in preschool was have fun (finger painting, coloring with chalk, zooming down slides, sitting in sandboxes, listening to pretty teachers read the best books, etc.), so eating time trumps playing time in my book.
What ever happened to snack time, anyway? I don't know when I got on the "adult" meal plan, but I don't like it. I'm much happier eating six small-ish meals (breakfast, mid-morning nibble, lunch, mid-afternoon refreshment, dinner, and post-dinner snack).
Now that I've switched to a new training plan (which involves a heavy increase in mileage and a healthy dollop of cross-training), I've vowed to fuel myself properly so all my hard work isn't for nothing. Run more, eat more...it's as simple (and as complicated) as that. I've found that eating little no-guilt snacks right when I feel those hunger pangs helps me avoid overeating at meal times (when I'm in such a rush to get food in my starving belly that I don't even realize when I'm full) and keeps my energy level (and my mood) up. It's amazing how much happier I am when I'm not "trying to make it" with no food between lunch and dinner. Even though I'm still pretty strict about what I eat, at least I've lightened up about when I eat.
Here's a list of the snacks in my rotation at the moment:
1. Sliced apple with sprinkles of cinnamon
|Apples with Cinnamon|
2. Celery with peanut butter
|Celery with Peanut Butter|
3. Yogurt with crushed granola mixed in
|Yogurt with Granola|
4. 100% Whole wheat pita with a slice of turkey
5. Multigrain English muffin with salsa and a slice of cheese
6. Carrots dipped in hummus
|Carrots and Hummus|
7. Vegetable soup
8. A handful of almonds and half a banana
|1/2 Banana and Handful of Almonds|
9. Toasted 100% Whole wheat bagel thin with guacamole
12. 1-Egg omelet with veggies
13. 1/2 Cup of rice with red peppers and onions
14. Leftovers from dinner (ex: half a grilled chicken breast)
15. Small fruit salad
16. 1/2 Cup of frozen yogurt and a handful of chocolate chips
|Black Raspberry Frozen Yogurt with Chocolate Chips|
What's your favorite healthy snack idea?