Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Pep Talk

"Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not. When you race him, he will win." -Tom Fleming's Boston Marathon Training Motto

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a total sucker for motivational quotes (see some of my favorites here). At 6:00 am during the school year, when the dorms are blessedly quiet and the rising sun is just beginning to choreograph its dance across the lake, you can find me at my computer scrolling through pages and pages of inspirational running sayings. It doesn't matter that 95% of them aren't new to me - They are absorbed as greedily as my pre-run spoonfuls of cereal and berries.

Kara Goucher. Hal Higdon. George Sheehan. Don Kardong. Their voices penetrate the early morning fog and move in and out of my head, pushing me up and over big hills and down through tiny wisps of trail in the woods. I run alone (mostly due to the fact that I haven't met anyone who wants to run for an hour and half before an 8:35 am class, who wants to give up Saturday night partying in preparation for a long run on Sunday morning, and who wants to exercise outside for the duration of an upstate NY winter), but I relish my daily escape from campus.

Of course, running is not always such a pleasure. Sometimes I want to tell the running legends to pipe down and sometimes I entertain the thought of never retrieving my muddy running shoes from the hallway. Internal motivation is all well and good, but let's face it - sometimes we all need a pep talk.

Brother #2 is always good for a no-nonsense-get-yourself-into-gear conversation, but I prefer to get my provocation and encouragement from other...ah...sources.  

Pretty new running clothes speak to me.


Color-coordinating Separates, from Sports Authority

Mini cheesecakes from the Whole Foods bakery...they speak to me too.


[Mini] New York Style Cheesecake with Berries, from WFM 

I think I'd have enough willpower to channel my inner Kenyan and train for an ultra if someone would just dangle an Under Armour gift certificate and a slice of cheesecake in front of me at every mile marker. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment